Sometimes we just hold on too tightly. I have been trying to teach Jordan how to ride his bike. We've had maybe 3 practice sessions over the past YEAR! He just had no interest. Well, finally, he agreed to practice. As I followed him up and down the driveway holding on to him, I realized that I'll never know if he can do it until I let go. Sure, he may fall if I can't get there in time, but he just might be able to do this on his own. I had to make myself let him go. I knew if he fell and got hurt, his natural reaction would be to give up and not try again, so I wasn't 100% sure I was doing the right thing. But I did it. I let him go.
This got me wondering, where else in life do I hold on -thinking I am protecting something or someone, when actually I should just let go. By trying to protect and shelter from hurt, occasionally we are actually inhibiting success. We are worrying for no reason, we are expending energy we needn't waist. It's something to consider.
And you know what? He could ride without me. Who knows how long I would have just kept following along for no reason, holding on trying to make sure he wouldn't fall... when all along he could do it himself. Now I realize that success sometimes comes only from letting go and risking pain and hurt. The lessons we learn from this thing they call parenting...
1 comment:
I totally agree. When my sister got really sick, she wanted to shield them from dealing with it, but really God was growing them and teaching them to trust Him. You are a great parent:)
Christine
Post a Comment