Friday, January 18, 2008
Memories...
My grandfather passed away last weekend, so we spent most of the week in Nashville/Kentucky with family. Though the circumstances were sad, it was nice seeing everyone and brought back a lot of memories. Last night as I was trying to go to sleep, I had a very strong memory come to my mind. It was the smell of walking into my grandparents' house. They say that smell holds the strongest sense of memory. My grandmother passed away almost 4 years ago, and now my grandfather is gone too. I was so sad thinking that I will never again experience that distinctive smell. I can't describe the smell, it was just the smell of their house and the feeling I had walking into it: anticipation and love. My grandfather has been in an assisted living and nursing home for a few years now, but the thought of never entering that house as it was hadn't hit me until last night. I hope I never forget that wonderful smell.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
kass,
i am so sorry. i totally remember "the smell". i also remember the way the sheets felt in my room at my grandparents. funny things we remember. love you.
k
These wonderful memories will stay with you a lifetime. It took me awhile after I lost my grandparents to realize - the memories are forever! They make me smile. I am thankful you have them. Love you.
hey kass,
sorry to hear about your losss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys.
Great house huh?!?! Miss them both but we do have great memories! Love ya!!
Post a Comment