Monday, March 31, 2008

Lyrics that Move me

Both of these songs are by Jennifer Knapp on her Kansas CD.

Trinity

You in the mirror, staring back at me, Oh Conscience let me be.
To the pure, all things are pure -
To those who are defiled, unbelieving - nothing is pure.
Their minds, their conscience defiled,
They profess to know God but deceive him by deeds all the while.

Where do I stand, on the rock or in the sand?
Oh, Holy Spirit, won't you help me understand.
Holy Spirit won't you say a prayer for me
With your groanings.

My mind, my conscience defiled
Send the blood of the lamb, don't leave me in exile.
What was that promise on the Cross at Calvary?
Confess the Lord and the truth shall set you free.

Create in me a clean heart, oh God
Renew a steadfast spirit within me.
To my prayers you've always given heed.

Blessed be thy God who never turned away from me.
Hid his face from all my sins
Forgot, forgot my inequity.
Go on and raise your hands
Sing praises to the Lord
He's the King and he'll reign forevermore
He died upon the Cross at Calvary,
He died to save a wretch like me....

Martyrs and Thieves

There's a place in the darkness that I use to cling to
That presses harsh hope against time.
In the absence of martyrs there's a presence of thieves
who only want to rob you blind.
They steal away any sense of peace
Though I'm a king, I'm a king on my knees.
And I know they are wrong when they say I am strong
As the darkness covers me.

So turn on the light and reveal all the Glory,
I am not afraid -
To bear all my weakness, knowing in meekness,
I have a kingdom to gain.
Where there is peace and love in the light, in the light
OH, I am not afraid,
To let your light shine bright in my life, in my life

There are ghosts from my past that own more of my soul
than I thought I had given away.
They linger in closets and under my bed and in pictures less proudly displayed.
A great fool in my life I have been,
Have squandered til pallid and thin.
Hung my head in shame and refused to take blame
for the darkness I know I've let win.

So turn on the light and reveal all the Glory,
I am not afraid
To bear all my weakness knowing in meekness I have a Kingdom to gain.
Where there is peace and love in the light, in the light,
I am not afraid
To let your light shine bright in my life, in my life.

I've never been much for the bearing of souls
in the presence of any man.
I'd rather keep to myself all safe and secure
in the arms of a sinner I am.
Could it be that my worth should defend
by the Crimson stained Grace on a hand?
And like a lamp on a hill, Lord, I pray in your will to reveal all of you that I can.

No comments: