Sunday, August 31, 2008

My first 10k

Ok, it isn't a REAL 10K but it was the Nike Human Race - where you use Nike+ to run a 10K if you aren't in one of the host cities.  We happened to be in Oxford, MS for the first football game of the season at Ole Miss, so I got to run their campus with perfect weather at 8 am.  I love Nike+.  I have the sportband which I wear on my wrist with the Nike+ sensor in my shoe which tells me how far I'm running and my pace as I go.  Then I sync my run online at nike+.com.  So for the Human Race, you could run any time today and you have to sync your run by Tuesday.
My mindset was to just run and make the run.  My IT band is still bothering me, so I took the whole week off.  I have not exercised since last Sunday.  At all.  So this morning I was a little nervous thinking I wouldn't be able to make it.  Also, we were out of town and ate very badly the last few days.  I ate a few chips and a cookie for dinner last night - yikes.  But I drank gatorade and water yesterday hoping that would get me through.  I started very slowly and just wanted to finish the run.  My IT band started hurting at mile 5 (very badly!) and I thought my knee was going to lock up it was so tight, but then I busted through and the last 1/2 mile was awesome.  I ran 6.4 miles in 56 minutes and 13 secs.  So it was an 8:46 pace.  I am happy with that and that I made it.  The boys start preschool this week so I am looking forward to being able to really train and get faster with the extra time I will have.  I run a real 10K on November 1st here in Birmingham.  Anyway, not that you are interested in all of this, but I feel accomplished at least for today.  And if you have never been, Ole Miss's campus is BEAUTIFUL!  What a great place to run.  The first presidential debate will take place there at the end of the month...

2 comments:

The Lamphier Family said...

Kassie, I've got at least 4 different ideas for your IT band. Give me a call and we'll talk! I have been bothered by that, too, but have a few tricks up my sleeve every time it comes back. I'd love to share!

Caryn

Kfranklin said...

i'm proud of you!! Love to be smokin hot mommas together, but sorry I didnt get to run this with you. i'll find out about the stress fracture Wednesday!