Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A Season for Giving

As God has placed giving on our hearts, I've been wanting to take the boys shopping for toys to donate to Toys for Tots and today was the day.  We so want them to find joy in giving to those less fortunate.  
This morning Jordan was excited.  "Mom, I'm gonna pick out the best toys that I like and give them to the poors."  So off we went to Walmart.  We got out of the car and huddled together to say a prayer, thanking God for the opportunity to glorify Him through this act - (Jordan threw in "and if we ever go to Africa, protect us from the wild animals so we don't get eaten." ?).  

Jordan had $100 to spend and he picked out his favorite toys and turned to ask me if we had enough money each time.  He even picked a Dora doll in case a girl needed a toy :)  We paid for them and drove to a nearby car dealership that was collecting the toys.  The boys were eager to take them in and put them under the tree.  They wanted to do it all themselves.  Not one whine for a toy to keep, not one pout that the toys were going to others.  God is good - God is good.  I was so blessed through this small activity - in teaching our children how giving is joyful and honoring to God - in just knowing God is faithful and He answers our prayers.  He is so good.  I was in tears as we drove off and again now as I write this.  I took these pictures as we dropped the toys off at the dealership.





4 comments:

Sonya said...

So sweet! and how nice of Jordan to make sure a little girl would have a Dora. =)

smith said...

I sit here with tears rolling down my cheeks. I am so proud of Jordan and Walker. I am so thankful you and Tony are raising the boys this way! Kassie, you are a blessing. Mamaw saw the pictures and can't stop talking about it. We can all learn from you guys. Love, GG

The Lamphier Family said...

Kass, what a sweet story. I just love your boys. And I miss you guys. Please give them a hug from the Lamphiers.

john and nikki said...

Kassie, so sweet. We want to do this with the girls too. I love it when they get the real meaning of Christmas!