Saturday, May 1, 2010

To Glorify Him...

Recently I feel like the Holy Spirit lifted a veil from my eyes. You know what I'm talking about... when all of the sudden you see things in a new light and the only reason it makes sense is that the Holy Spirit revealed it. Many times I have listened to sermons in the past... focused on me and how I can be better, how I can do better, what I need to do to make my life better... there are so many books, web sites, churches caught up in this purpose. It's not that these are all bad... no, they aren't bad. I just realized that, hey, maybe it's not all about me. Maybe by digging into God's word, by reaching out to others, by finding ways to serve God and people, maybe that's how Jesus wants to work in my life. Sometimes I just think we need to take the focus off of me, me, me and focus on Jesus, Jesus, Jesus. What does He teach us, where does He want us, how does He desire us to glorify Him? By getting outside of SELF and focusing on OTHERS - the lost, the poor, the orphans, the widows, our neighbors who don't know the Lord - that's where our light shines the brightest. If all I am ever doing is introspective or trying to figure out how to be a better me, I will never have time or feel adequate enough to serve. Through service, God humbles us, teaches us, molds us and all the while HE is getting the GLORY. That's what our life here on Earth is for... to GLORIFY HIM. My prayer is to be less self absorbed and more Christ absorbed - more LOVE absorbed. In this culture of "comfortable Christianity" it takes renewing my mind on a constant basis.

3 comments:

Julie www.aboutourhouse.blogspot.com said...

My prayer too! Preach it sister!

Christine said...

Amen! I love the moments in life when something truly amazing is revealed. God is good, and I know He is using you in the life of your family and neighbors.

john and nikki said...

Amen, sista! No, seriously, very well put. Thanks for sharing and reminding us!